Sunday, May 8, 2011

The northern hemisphere again

Southern California. What a way to start being "home" again. Home most definitely not being Southern California for me. I landed in LAX the night of the 5th after a very long day traveling. Waking up in Lima Peru and falling asleep in Thousand Oaks, California at my Grandmas house. What a world we live in where that is possible. Two hemispheres, two continents and the airspace of a third in one day.

I was promptly swooped away by my mother and grandmother who I have seen for less than a week in the past year. Beyond words good to see my family. The past few days I have been immersed in family, cousins, aunts and the little man who turns 1 this week! There was also the Mission City Brawling Betties roller derby yesterday and McConnells Ice cream (the best on Earth! I worked there and I can still gorge on it). It has been quite the welcome back to America. Oh yes and there was sushi, lots of it!

They joys and also the downer that is being back. Everything is so clean, organized and proper, sterile, where is the chaos. Sure people drive a bit crazy here but even that is proper and quiet, no horns. I'll adjust I suppose, I don't have another choice.

I head home to the beloved Mendoland on Tuesday. Picking up my friend May in San Francisco to get a tad of climbing in and some city adventures first.

One of the things about going home that I am excited about besides seeing my fantastic family: sleeping in my own bed for the first time in far too long. A bed that is more than my well loved sleeping bag and a foam sleeping pad. A bed that is not a couch or floor space, a bed that is not a hostel bed that has seen hundreds of people and a bed that I will sleep in more than one night. It's funny what you miss when traveling an I'm not about to stop, the next round is domestic: the American West. California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Wyoming, Arizona and probably more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes - welcome back to the coast. May your future journeys always loop back to this magical place. With love.